PAWPAW'S MESSAGES TO MY GRANDSONS 61 - Playing Against The Number One Player In The World

PAWPAW'S  MESSAGES TO MY GRANDSONS


Pawpaw loves Bryson, Connor, and Archer!


Playing Against The Number One Player In The World

 

   In the very early 1970s, I began seeing professional tennis on television. I watched The Battle of the Sexes where female pro Billie Jean King demolished retired male pro Bobby Riggs. I enjoyed the play of tennis brat Jimmy Connors and I loved the calm and ultra cool Bjorn Borg. We had a couple of tennis rackets in our basement so I took one to the park and began hitting tennis balls against a wall. Other times, I would go down to the grocery store after it closed and hit against their wall.

   Some of my friends began playing tennis too. I won my first tennis trophy when I was eleven or twelve. Of all the kids that played tennis in my school class, I was the best. One day when I was hitting against the wall at a park, the High School tennis coach approached me and invited me to join the High School team when I was old enough. I did play on the school team for two years. I earned my Varsity Letter.

   I was injured just before my Senior year at High School. I did not get to play my Senior year at all. Soon after graduating, I was involved with a woman, then married, then a father. My jobs became a priority to support my family but I tried to play tennis when I could find others to play with. Unfortunately, my body often failed me. I suffered injury after injury. As of today, I have had thirty surgeries and corrective procedures on my joints and muscles plus even more muscle and ligament tears.

   Like most recreational sports players, I always wondered what it would be like to play against a professional athlete. It wasn’t until I was in my forties that I got my chance. I was a string writer for a South Florida newspaper. I wrote an article highlighting an upcoming tennis tournament featuring retired tennis professionals. One day I received a phone call from former World Number One tennis player Jim Courier. He had read my article and wanted to thank me for it! I was thrilled to be talking to this tennis great. If that wasn’t already amazing, Jim asked me if I’d like to meet him in Naples, Florida and hit some tennis balls with him. “Yes! I said!” I’d dreamed about something like this for thirty years.

   When the day came, I met Jim on court in Naples. He introduced me to Australian Open champ Peter Korda and NCAA champ Mikael Pernfors. The guys took turns hitting with me. I was supposed to also hit with French Open champion Michael Chang but he had torn a ligament on court the previous day. After hitting with Korda and Pernfors, I got to hit with Jim Courier. Courier was a four time Grand Slam Singles Champion and former World Number One. As usual, my backhand was perfect. Courier and Wayne Bryan (father of the world’s most successful men’s doubles professionals Bob and Mike Bryan) both commented about it and complimented me on it. I had so much fun!

   After our time on court, Jim Courier saw my daughter Steffany on crutches from an Anterior Cruciate Ligament tear in her knee. He invited her on court and presented her with a tournament poster autographed by himself and other pros. It was a fabulous day!


Steven Skelley & Peter Korda


Steven Skelley


Steven Skelley


Steven Skelley & Jim Courier



Steven Skelley & Pat Cash  (Wimbledon Champ)


Steven Skelley High School and forties



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PAWPAW'S MESSAGES TO MY GRANDSONS 68 - Connor and Bryson in a fish tank!

PAWPAW'S MESSAGES TO MY GRANDSONS 35 - LGBTQ Pride

PAWPAW'S MESSAGES TO MY GRANDSONS 79 - My Favorite T-Shirts Are Gathering Dust